I am not sure how many people are interested in listening to how i changed from a bloody snob!! to a what i consider a pretty good human but it all actually came from the type of people i got as classmates and college mates. Now these humans were to me very interesting, enjoyable, engrossing and most importantly pure souls. Not at first though. I had been negatively presumptuous about the type of gentry i'd be receiving at the college. Courtesy Karan Johar's high school movies where girls roaming around in bikini in the campus has always been the norm. Boys would all have six packs and they'd all know break dancing. Since i knew that the college i am going to is situated in the desert of an area called Mansarovar, i was aware of the fact that none of my fantasies were going to take form. It was a 'local' college i was going to as my friends would tease me. And so i was sad with the way my life was going to take course, having to compromise with fantasies i had dug in my mind since long. This however, as i realize now, made me, take the innocent souls that were my classmates, for granted. This was a mistake, as when i got to know them i realized that i had done a wrong job by generalizing my discriminating and condescending views, for everyone.
After my 12th i was in a state of jeopardy. I was having to clear a complementary as was it called during that time .. a complementary in chemistry. I was not eligible for admission into big reputed colleges and particularly IIT for that matter. So my last refuge was RPET. That is since i was out of the AIEEE league simply due to mere laziness and incompetence at starting preparations. But alas i showed my greatness there as well and fellow classmates gasped and exclaimed at the properness with which i told them my RPET rank(around infinity or something) at the first day of college that was for me about after two months from the actual official first day of the college.
Now i am very sure that many guys and girls in my class have taken me for granted in these four years because of my careless conduct throughout my college life. No regret over that. They'll see my disciplined phase as soon as i set myself into life
So Before all that, as soon as i got the news of this phone call that some Maharishi Arvind is ready to take me in, i was devastated. I wanted a drop. I wanted to reorganize. Most importantly i never wanted to enter an environment, atmosphere that i had hated and made fun of since birth. Mixing up with people from rural backgrounds. Impossible!!!! .. AS THE SNOB I WAS. So i had many misconceptions(weird!! not going to describe them). But then on protesting about things one day my father said ... "Padhne ka theka sirf hamne hi le rakha hai kya". And that was it. I knew what i had to do. So i got ready to go to college. Not sure why this statement struck me. But many more were to come. And they struck a chord in my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So truEE
ReplyDeletei cud totally relate to it..somehow for the first two years of college, even i felt tht i was stuck in a hopeless place, where i cud least expct to find sensible people..and making friends was clearly out of question..
but, now as i turn back..i feel every place has good people..my best friends are from that very college, which i hated before joining..:-)
life has been generous..and "local" college too have given us soo much to take from!
Keep writing, I think I am to know more about Aakar. Continue the journey towards self exploration in innocence and naivety.
ReplyDelete